Click on the title to view the full text in a new window.
- A Distinct Sense of Belonging
- This was my response to an invitation by a book editor to write about what it means to me to be a baseball fan.
- Elders, Church, and the Nurturance of Spirit
- Churches and synagogues are in an especially good position to work effectively with and serve older persons.
- Flesh Made Word
- A short reflection on my own journal writing practice.
- Helping Jimmy
- This is the first of three essays related to the game of baseball, it tells the story of a childhood experience of sandlot play on behalf of charity.
- Redeemed From Time: Learning Through Autobiography
- This essay published in Adult Education Quarterly, provides rationale for the importance of doing autobiographical work in the field of adult education
- Sandlot Days
- A short reflection on baseball and especially the glories of unsupervised play in childhood.
- Stories at the Hour of Our Death
- This essay is about the power of storytelling with a special focus on working with people who are dying.
- A Valley in the Landscape
- This essay is about recent experiences teaching in the “New Books, New Readers” program sponsored by the Maine Humanities Council.